---What Consumer Needs do these Ads Fulfill?
The companies below create advertising for their clients. Click on the links below to review past and current examples of their work. BBDO Modem Media Bozell Worldwide
tbba/chiat/day J. Walter Thompson
Young & Rubicam
- Select three ads or advertising campaigns from any of the sites above.
- Identify which of the five needs identified by Maslow (physiological, safety, social/belonging, esteem and self-actualization) each ad or ad campaign addresses. Explain the reasons for your choices.
Consumer Decision-Making Steps in Action
After reviewing the five steps of consumer decision-making, complete the following activities:
- Select a purchase that was significant to you and describe both your thoughts and actions as you proceeded through each of the decision-making steps. For example, you might explain what you did to gather information about a product, how you evaluated your alternatives and what emotions you may have felt after making your decision (confidence, uncertainty, anxiety about making the right decision, etc.).
Steps of Consumer Decision Making
- Become Aware of a Problem or Opportunity: The consumer becomes aware of an unfulfilled need, such as replacing a regularly purchased item such as toothpaste or buying a new SUV (sports utility vehicle) to reach remote areas – and perhaps gain peer approval.
- Search for Information: Gathering information from various sources in order to make a better-informed decision. For example, the SUV buyer may consult with others who own one and conduct research on the Web (manufacturer sites, online automobile magazines, etc.).
- Evaluate Alternatives: Once the choices have been narrowed, the consumer compares them based on the criteria that matter most. Continuing with the SUV example, the consumer may decide that the SUV must be both comfortable on the highway and agile in the back country, be pleasing to look at and convenient for loading mountain bikes and other gear.
- Decide on what to buy and then purchase it. At this stage, the SUV buyer may look for the best dealer, based on such factors as service, location and price.
- Reassess the purchase. The bigger the purchase, the more the consumer will reconsider whether or not the decision was correct. The SUV buyer may periodically think about his or her satisfaction with the vehicle, compare it to other SUVs while driving, and tune in to passenger comments.
2004 South-Western. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer